Spirit Jumper



I am happy to say I sent out my first "Spirit Jump" yesterday! I was matched with an one year old girl who was diagnosed with Ewig Sarcoma at birth and has been undergoing chemo since she was 3 weeks old. She just celebrated her first birthday a month ago and has one treatment left! I sent her a cloth Where's Elmo? book and some of my initial correspondence cards, for her Mama.

I discovered Spirit Jumper through The Secrets in the Sauce blog. They were a featured blog. I read their mission statement and immediately wanted to get matched with someone!

The following was taken from the Spirit Jump Blog: Spirit Jump is a program that directly connects the gift giver with a person battling cancer. It was founded in November, 2008 by two young women who have both battled cancer.

Meaghan is a cancer survivor. She was diagnosed with end stage cancer with a 20% chance of survival in February of 2007. Like many cancer patients she experienced the horrors of chemotherapy, radiation and numerous surgeries. Today Meaghan is CANCER FREE and is thankful for all of the support of her family and friends who stood by her side through her cancer fight.
Stacy is currently fighting Stage IV Melanoma. Diagnosed, October, 2007, Stacy is still undergoing treatment and fighting this horrible battle.

Click on either of their names to be re-directed to their personal websites.

The Mission of Spirit Jump
If you have a shop, artistic abilities or even an extra card in your drawer and you want to give it to a person in need, send us an email that you want to be a Spirit Jumper at spiritjumper@spiritjump.com We will then connect you directly with a person in need, or we can give you a list of names, a brief description of what their particular cancer battle is and you can choose. When the match is made, We’ll give you that persons mailing address and then it’s up to you to send the gift. It’s a simple.

If you decide to be a Spirit Jumper you will be overwhelmed with the joy and warmth you feel when giving a gift. Additionally, every Spirit Jumper is welcome to write a post on our website and tell our many readers about your shop, blog or website. You may include links, photos and any information you want to be featured on the site. We encourage you to also include why you decided to donate, who you donated to and maybe even a photo of what you donated. This will be wonderful exposure for your shop, blog, website and you will be lifting someone’s spirit, WIN, WIN!

Want to be a Spirit Jumper: spiritjumper@spiritjump.com

Need a spirit jump or know someone who does: needaspiritjump@spiritjump.com

My immediate reaction was to want to go out and lavish gifts on this little girl but I realized it was more important for me to make a commitment to Spirit Jumper. I plan on getting matched once a month to someone. The gift is wonderful but the intention is what is at the heart of the Spirit Jump. So don't worry about the size of the gift -- if you can only send a card do it!

3 comments:

***Sharon*** said...

*Speechless*

There are so many organizations out there that need help....it's so easy to dismiss them...or shall I say it's so hard to choose which to help. I read your post and just very overwhelmed with emotion. My mom passed away from cancer...soon after my MIL did too. It was heart wrenching. I can't even wrap my head around a child with cancer....

I think it's a wonderful thing you are doing. I'm going to look into it as well. As always - thanks for your inspiration!

Katie said...

That's a wonderful sentiment! I must have missed that post on SITS, I'll have to go check it out.

Valerie @ Frugal Family Fun Blog said...

What a great idea, and so inspiring! I'm off to learn more... thank you so much for passing the info along. I would have never found out about this otherwise.

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs